An immigration attorney in Houston: visa J-1

Houston Immigration Attorneys services: visa J-1

Immigration is a very important step in life, which is a strictly regulated procedure, often taking several months. By working with the best immigration lawyers in houston, you will be able to determine which visa is best suited to your case and provide the best chances for a positive. In our Houston immigration law firm, we work together with our clients and keep them informed about every next step in the work process.

The list of some services provided by an immigration attorney:

  • Obtaining political asylum in the United States on various grounds (LGBT, religious or political beliefs, etc.);
  • Appeals to immigration courts of all instances;
  • Protection against deportation;
  • Representing clients in immigration courts and immigration services;
  • Naturalization (obtaining citizenship);
  • Obtaining permanent residency through family petitions (Green Cards);
  • Obtaining permanent residency through various types of investment in the United States economy (EB-5 program);
  • Business visas of different categories (H, L) l1 visa lawyer in Houston;
  • Work visas for people with outstanding abilities (categories O, P);
  • Immigration assistance for spouses of U.S. citizens who have experienced domestic violence (Violence Against Women Act, VAWA)

J-1 Visa

J-1 Visa is a temporary non-immigrant visa that allows foreigners to work for designated sponsoring organizations. The goal of the program is to increase understanding between the U.S. and non-U.S. citizens through education and cultural exchange. J-1 visa holders may participate in a variety of programs, including government, academic, and private sector programs.

This visa is granted:

  • Au pair and EduCare (nanny programs).
  • Camp Counselor (a program for counselors)
  • Government Visitor (government visitor)
  • Intern
  • International Visitor (Dept of State use) (foreign guest, State Department program)
  • Physician (doctor)
  • Professor and Research Scholar (professor or academician)
  • Short-term Scholar (an academic visiting the United States for a short period of time)
  • Specialist
  • Student, college/university
  • Student, secondary
  • Summer Work Travel (summer work and travel program)
  • Teacher
  • Trainee

Before applying for a visa, you should consult a j1 visa lawyer in Houston to sure you have all chances to be accepted as a participant in the U.S. exchange program and meet all visa requirements.

Who Meets the Visa Requirements?

The basic requirements for applicants are as follows:

  • Intention to stay in the United States temporarily, for a limited time;
  • A valid passport;
  • Offer from a specially designated exchange program;
  • Meet all the criteria required for this exchange program;
  • Sufficient funds to cover expenses in the United States;
  • Intention to return home upon completion of the program.

J-1 Visa Requirements

There are several requirements for J-1 program participants. Candidates must participate in a program offered by one of the certified sponsoring organizations (such as universities, private firms, or government organizations working on J-1 exchange programs). Each of these programs has its own set of criteria that candidates must meet. All applicants must be proficient in English at the level required for their program. Candidates must also have health insurance and pay all necessary fees.

An immigration attorney in Houston: visa J-1